Skip to main content

Fairly Princess Ballerina Nightie

Thing One turned four this month (hence the posting at the end of the month as I was busy doing other things!).  At our weekly sewing classes I saw some fairy-princess-ballerina fabric a while ago and steeled myself against buying it.  Then I found a quick and easy peasant dress tutorial (http://childrensfashionworkshop.squarespace.com/projects/2009/2/9/peasant-dress.html) and decided I should make her a flouncy wonderful nightie for her birthday.

The pattern was super easy but as they note in the pattern, it's one where it's better to be able to try it on, particularly around the neckline.  I couldn't do this without ruining the surprise so the neck was way too big.  Here it is when finished:


Once she tried it on, I just grabbed the neckline and made a bit of a fold, then sewed that fold in place (I figured it was only for bed).  In the end the grab and sew method looked kind of cool and I wished I had done two little folds which met in the middle which would have formed a sort of pleat.  But...it's only for bed and she couldn't care less, as you can see :)


I got a cheapish long sleeved thermal vest from Target to go under (it's Autumn here) and presented them as an outfit so she couldn't complain - otherwise she would have wanted to wear only the nightie.  On the whole I am pretty pleased with it and might make some more shirred stuff soon as it looks cute and was pretty easy (not even any of the reportedly required tension-fiddling on my machine).  My only annoyance is that Spotlight sell 10m of shirring elastic at a time and I needed more than that for some practice and for this dress, which isn't really a heavily shirred thing.

Finally, a non-sewing birthday item which I also made:


Only because I am so proud of not mucking this up!   First Dolly Varden cake is a success :)

All up I think she had a lovely birthday and it was so nice to be able to make her special things because she loved them.  Happy Days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 - Hits of 2017!

Joining in with Gillian at Crafting a Rainbow to post a couple of reflective posts for 2017.

2017 was a funny sewing year for me - I pretty much didn't blog at all, and what I made was mostly pattern tests.  I think that reflects what felt like the busiest year yet and am trying not to beat myself up about all the stuff I didn't make that I wanted to!

2018 is hopefully going to be more considered making, especially as I have signed up for the Goodbye Valentino RTW Fast!  No clothes shopping for me...argh!

Without further ado - here are the garments I think were my five "hits" of 2017:

1.  Reece Shift Dress (Sinclair Patterns)


I LOVE this dress.  I don't like wearing dresses but wear this to work all the time.  It makes me feel smart and professional (even though it needs a press in the second picture!) and is really well suited to the Sydney climate.

As someone who recently swore off making dresses to try and find myself a true TNT, I might sneak in another versi…

Dumb and Dumber - or how not to make a Washi Dress...

[Note that I believe all the dumbness in this post is to do with my newbie status as pattern adjuster, some carelessness, some overconfidence and some just plain idiotic moves - not the Washi pattern!  I found the pattern itself really easy to follow and sew; and if you don't totally screw it up then it's quick to sew too!]

So like everyone else that moves, I really liked the look of the Washi dress / tunic.  I bought the pattern and then ummed and ahhed about the FBA part.

Dumbness #1:
Clearly, I have to accept that I always require an FBA.  Why would I think otherwise?  I guess partly it was the measurements on the pattern; but the advice was clear and for my circumstances, an FBA was needed.  So here is attempt 1 - it was supposed to be a muslin and then I started loving the fabric was gutted when it didn't fit.

Dumbness #2:
Making a muslin out of a fabric I liked, then being crapped off when it didn't fit.


Mmmmm squeezy!

Happily my friend Danika selflessly stepped…

Named Astrid Wrap Shorts - Pattern Test

I absolutely love the new collection from Named called Royals.  I was lucky to have the opportunity to test the Astrid Wrap Shorts, which is a two in one pattern of either shorts or full length wide legged pants.

Here are the versions on the Named site:


The pattern was clear and easy to follow.  The only tricky part was ensuring the place where the wrap starts is nice and neat.

I made my version out of some cream herringbone linen I bought in Tessuti Melbourne several years ago:

And here is the front:


back:


and side, where the tie is:


I love these shorts.  I am not sure the plain linen is the best fabric to use for visual impact, but they are super comfortable and a good weight for Sydney.

I did have a sizing issue in that they turned out quite a bit larger than expected, which means I need to pull the tie tighter and makes it look messy.  As this was a pattern test I would not take this as necessarily true of the released pattern, and I will confess that I haven't checked the fin…