Skip to main content

Toys were pretty much it for June

I can't believe I have nearly missed June.  I seem to go through a few days of blog activity each month and then nothing for ages, despite various FOs in the meantime.  So this time I will group them together a bit I think.

First up is this:

This is dot the dress up box monster from The Big Book of Knitted Monsters and I made him for my good friend Shalee's little boy Harry.  I wanted to blog him more thoroughly as they use something called the magic loop to knit smallish toys on a large circular kneedle.  Everyone else might know about this already, but I found it to be super cool - a bit tricky at first but works like a charm.  It stops the irritating ladders you get using DPNs (well I get them anyway).

His brother wants one too now, so I will do some step by step then as I don't want to forget this.  I made a baby hat the other day and wondered whether I could use the same technique but didn't have the confidence to deviate and try it out (and I was in a hurry...).

 So I modified the monster every so slightly - his mouth is sewn on rather than stuck (sticking felt to wool kind of feels wrong) and his eye patch is crochet rather than knit as it seemed way way way easier.

Speaking of knitting on DPNs...this is Ava's Hippo from Itty Bitty Toys.  I made this one ages and ages ago and then rather hoped my friend was having a girl as the soft pink result is lovely but not awfully manly.  This was made for Ava who was born a few weeks back at 35 weeks - she is just beautiful!

Sorry about the awful backdrop to the pictures - its a maternity ward sofa which are always covered in hideous designs.  The hippo was a bit overstuffed as I let my four year old help with that part. I was especially pleased with the finish or texture on this one (if that's the right word).  The pattern wanted a speckled wool and I had a soft pink and a I knitted the two strands together and got speckled :)

Finally we have Noah's dino.  I made him simply because Noah hasn't had a toy yet and he likes Dinosaurs.  I was looking for an excuse to make him.  He is another one from Amigurumi and I don't think I changed anything but the colours here.

I am especially pleased with his grumpiness in the face - it's quite hard to get right!

So that accounts for a fair bit of June, though there are a few more bits to come.  See?
I have been productive, just not in blogging terms...

More soon!


Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 - Hits of 2017!

Joining in with Gillian at Crafting a Rainbow to post a couple of reflective posts for 2017.

2017 was a funny sewing year for me - I pretty much didn't blog at all, and what I made was mostly pattern tests.  I think that reflects what felt like the busiest year yet and am trying not to beat myself up about all the stuff I didn't make that I wanted to!

2018 is hopefully going to be more considered making, especially as I have signed up for the Goodbye Valentino RTW Fast!  No clothes shopping for me...argh!

Without further ado - here are the garments I think were my five "hits" of 2017:

1.  Reece Shift Dress (Sinclair Patterns)

I LOVE this dress.  I don't like wearing dresses but wear this to work all the time.  It makes me feel smart and professional (even though it needs a press in the second picture!) and is really well suited to the Sydney climate.

As someone who recently swore off making dresses to try and find myself a true TNT, I might sneak in another versi…

Dumb and Dumber - or how not to make a Washi Dress...

[Note that I believe all the dumbness in this post is to do with my newbie status as pattern adjuster, some carelessness, some overconfidence and some just plain idiotic moves - not the Washi pattern!  I found the pattern itself really easy to follow and sew; and if you don't totally screw it up then it's quick to sew too!]

So like everyone else that moves, I really liked the look of the Washi dress / tunic.  I bought the pattern and then ummed and ahhed about the FBA part.

Dumbness #1:
Clearly, I have to accept that I always require an FBA.  Why would I think otherwise?  I guess partly it was the measurements on the pattern; but the advice was clear and for my circumstances, an FBA was needed.  So here is attempt 1 - it was supposed to be a muslin and then I started loving the fabric was gutted when it didn't fit.

Dumbness #2:
Making a muslin out of a fabric I liked, then being crapped off when it didn't fit.

Mmmmm squeezy!

Happily my friend Danika selflessly stepped…

Named Astrid Wrap Shorts - Pattern Test

I absolutely love the new collection from Named called Royals.  I was lucky to have the opportunity to test the Astrid Wrap Shorts, which is a two in one pattern of either shorts or full length wide legged pants.

Here are the versions on the Named site:

The pattern was clear and easy to follow.  The only tricky part was ensuring the place where the wrap starts is nice and neat.

I made my version out of some cream herringbone linen I bought in Tessuti Melbourne several years ago:

And here is the front:


and side, where the tie is:

I love these shorts.  I am not sure the plain linen is the best fabric to use for visual impact, but they are super comfortable and a good weight for Sydney.

I did have a sizing issue in that they turned out quite a bit larger than expected, which means I need to pull the tie tighter and makes it look messy.  As this was a pattern test I would not take this as necessarily true of the released pattern, and I will confess that I haven't checked the fin…