Skip to main content

A Barrel of Monkeys

This post should rightly have come in June as well but I don't seem to get much time to detail all this at the moment.

Introducing the lovely monkeys:



These began with the monkey on the left, who was a present from my Auntie  (shop bought) when Issy was born.  Then Issy's friend Mia fell in love and didn't want to return original monkey, so I decided to make one. I found the Supermonkey pattern in the Arigurumi (Cozy) book (and in fact this was the reason for buying the book) and thought he was similar enough for some adaptation.  And so the monkey in the middle was born.

Two things led to the monkey in the middle becoming stunt monkey (muslin monkey, Marcus' monkey) rather than Mia's monkey:
  1. I didn't have original monkey around for much of the time I was making him so I was working from memory and a couple of mobile phone pictures
  2. It was the first thing I ever crocheted and the more I did (including many other projects which have already been detailed), the more I learned and wanted to go back and start again to make him nicer.
If you look at the pictures more closely (original is top, first attempt is underneath)




then suddenly the differences and dodginess of stunt monkey become really obvious.  The crochet on his arms and legs is kind of patchy and inconsistent, particularly in the colour joins.  This was made before lots of practice and also before I found this tutorial on jogless colour changes.  Look deeper and you realise the body is a straight up and down tube, whereas original monkey's body is a pleasing teardrop shape; the patch on his tummy isn't as nicely done etc etc.  In addition, stunt monkey was very stuff by comparison to original monkey - I suspect original is made in a cotton yarn of some kind, though sadly I didn't manage to source anything similar here.

So I started again *sigh* and made Mia's monkey.



I think the differences are noticeable between stunt monkey and Mia's monkey (i.e. attempt one and attempt two), especially in the colour changes and the body shape.  There is still some stuffing showing through in places but he was also a lot softer and much better made!  So he now lives at Mia's house while stunt and original monkey live with us (and having two has in fact stopped a lot of fighting so it's a win-win!).  I was a little bit sad to give any of them away in the end as they looked pretty good all together:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 - Hits of 2017!

Joining in with Gillian at Crafting a Rainbow to post a couple of reflective posts for 2017.

2017 was a funny sewing year for me - I pretty much didn't blog at all, and what I made was mostly pattern tests.  I think that reflects what felt like the busiest year yet and am trying not to beat myself up about all the stuff I didn't make that I wanted to!

2018 is hopefully going to be more considered making, especially as I have signed up for the Goodbye Valentino RTW Fast!  No clothes shopping for me...argh!

Without further ado - here are the garments I think were my five "hits" of 2017:

1.  Reece Shift Dress (Sinclair Patterns)


I LOVE this dress.  I don't like wearing dresses but wear this to work all the time.  It makes me feel smart and professional (even though it needs a press in the second picture!) and is really well suited to the Sydney climate.

As someone who recently swore off making dresses to try and find myself a true TNT, I might sneak in another versi…

Dumb and Dumber - or how not to make a Washi Dress...

[Note that I believe all the dumbness in this post is to do with my newbie status as pattern adjuster, some carelessness, some overconfidence and some just plain idiotic moves - not the Washi pattern!  I found the pattern itself really easy to follow and sew; and if you don't totally screw it up then it's quick to sew too!]

So like everyone else that moves, I really liked the look of the Washi dress / tunic.  I bought the pattern and then ummed and ahhed about the FBA part.

Dumbness #1:
Clearly, I have to accept that I always require an FBA.  Why would I think otherwise?  I guess partly it was the measurements on the pattern; but the advice was clear and for my circumstances, an FBA was needed.  So here is attempt 1 - it was supposed to be a muslin and then I started loving the fabric was gutted when it didn't fit.

Dumbness #2:
Making a muslin out of a fabric I liked, then being crapped off when it didn't fit.


Mmmmm squeezy!

Happily my friend Danika selflessly stepped…

Named Astrid Wrap Shorts - Pattern Test

I absolutely love the new collection from Named called Royals.  I was lucky to have the opportunity to test the Astrid Wrap Shorts, which is a two in one pattern of either shorts or full length wide legged pants.

Here are the versions on the Named site:


The pattern was clear and easy to follow.  The only tricky part was ensuring the place where the wrap starts is nice and neat.

I made my version out of some cream herringbone linen I bought in Tessuti Melbourne several years ago:

And here is the front:


back:


and side, where the tie is:


I love these shorts.  I am not sure the plain linen is the best fabric to use for visual impact, but they are super comfortable and a good weight for Sydney.

I did have a sizing issue in that they turned out quite a bit larger than expected, which means I need to pull the tie tighter and makes it look messy.  As this was a pattern test I would not take this as necessarily true of the released pattern, and I will confess that I haven't checked the fin…