Got me thinking about how much I would like more time for all this though. Every other sewing and craft blog I read seems to have posts at least once or twice a week and often they are things like "I got this fabric today and am going to make this pattern" and then two days later they post their finished article. It takes me weeks. Seriously. Weeks and weeks. Is it the fact I have to go to work three days a week? (seems unlikely) Is it the small people? (probably) Is it that my sewing room desperately needs a reorganise (again) and that I need to discipline myself to finish things off rather than viewing nearly there as good enough but then not using the thing as it's not finished? (definitely).
Where does this leave me then...feeling guilty about not doing enough when the first paragraph above shows that I am really getting a lot done. So it's all about the organisation and the focus from here on in. I will do the following (in the following order):
- Post about the two things I HAVE finished and photographed asap.
- Make a list of unfinished projects and prioritise them.
- Make a list of planned projects and prioritise them.
- Stick to the plan.
Of course you note that the above doesn't tackle whether the lists created in steps 2 and 3 are to be completed in sequential order...no fun to start no new projects until *everything* is finished. And perhaps not so practical either. I have two issues (well, perhaps three) I think, as follows:
- The first is that I do different types of making stuff at different times - so I sew in a class on Thursday nights and sometimes at the weekend if I get a chance. I would like to sew more but it's hard to have the machine out with the nearly-two-year-old around and I can't really leave him and his sister to their own devices and run off to sew (sounds nice though...). I tend to knit or crochet more when they are about and also at night-times when I couldn't possibly get out of my seat to sew and I need to watch True Blood at the same time. So by definition the way that I use my time means I must have more than one thing on the go simultaneously.
- My second issue is that I don't have enough time to make everything I want to (laughing as I type this because I am not sure anyone in the world does...unless they don't want to make stuff I guess). So I am happily doing something for me or the kids just because...and I realise someone's birthday is coming up. And I have a good idea for a present. And I am going to make it for them...you see where this is heading...
- My third issue (which I don't want to own up to) is some sort of compulsiveness that means I want to make stuff that I see and think is a good idea RIGHT NOW. And if I don't do it I will lose the idea and the world will end. I may need to work on this.
Its a good boat though really :)