Skip to main content

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

When my daughter (now 4) and her friend Jonas from Mother's Group turned two I made them both a SB quilt from the Hungry Caterpillar Range (Eric Carle for Andover).  They both liked the book and the fabric range was gorgeous.

Fast forward a few years and my son is about to turn two and his friend Reuben (Jonas' little brother) is also hitting the big 0-2 (good timing for my friend and I!).  I saw the Brown Bear fabric range (more Eric Carle) and decided to use that for their quilt.  That way the quilts are complementary rather than matchy matchy - they would look great on bunk beds I think.  Reuben turned two a few weeks ago so I gave him this:


When I made the HC versions I made a single bed size, according to the old fashioned measuring scale where the quilt hangs down virtually to the floor on both sides (or gets tucked in) and covers the pillow and tucks under the end.  This time I decided to go much smaller (as when they are still quite little like this the bigger SB quilts are very unweildy and end up folded in half) and added in a contrasting pillow case.  So for Reuben his quilt is blue with a red pillow, and for Marcus I have reversed the colours (pics later when it's finished!).


A close-up of the quilt...


And of the (badly ironed) pillow case.



A picture to show the strip across the back.  I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with this fabric range when it arrived.  The HC range came with a panel which was really a panel (see below; the panel has the leafe, butterfly and caterpillar on it)  - this range came with something advertised as a panel but which was really just a piece of fabric cut off from the fabric made up of a lots of discrete squares bordered in green (which I used along the bottom above the stripey border).  Sadly because the fabric was continuous the cut off bit would have lost the green border top and bottom in seam allowances if you used the piece as a "panel" which is how it was touted.  So I made something up which was more based around the white fabric with the coloured animals on.  I was pleased with the result but it's quite different to the hungry caterpillar quilt (see below).



Additionally, some of the fabric range just didn't seem to match the others.  There were some which were the more solid, scribbly colours (like the purple in the HC quilt above) which were just horrible colours.  They didn't seem to even really match the animals, so I left them out and will use them for muslin making or similar!

All up though I was happy with the quilts and pillowcases I made, and even got a bit nicer about presentation and tied them up in a bundle with some left over binding strip.



Better finish the other one before Mr M's birthday so I can post that too...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 - Hits of 2017!

Joining in with Gillian at Crafting a Rainbow to post a couple of reflective posts for 2017.

2017 was a funny sewing year for me - I pretty much didn't blog at all, and what I made was mostly pattern tests.  I think that reflects what felt like the busiest year yet and am trying not to beat myself up about all the stuff I didn't make that I wanted to!

2018 is hopefully going to be more considered making, especially as I have signed up for the Goodbye Valentino RTW Fast!  No clothes shopping for me...argh!

Without further ado - here are the garments I think were my five "hits" of 2017:

1.  Reece Shift Dress (Sinclair Patterns)


I LOVE this dress.  I don't like wearing dresses but wear this to work all the time.  It makes me feel smart and professional (even though it needs a press in the second picture!) and is really well suited to the Sydney climate.

As someone who recently swore off making dresses to try and find myself a true TNT, I might sneak in another versi…

Dumb and Dumber - or how not to make a Washi Dress...

[Note that I believe all the dumbness in this post is to do with my newbie status as pattern adjuster, some carelessness, some overconfidence and some just plain idiotic moves - not the Washi pattern!  I found the pattern itself really easy to follow and sew; and if you don't totally screw it up then it's quick to sew too!]

So like everyone else that moves, I really liked the look of the Washi dress / tunic.  I bought the pattern and then ummed and ahhed about the FBA part.

Dumbness #1:
Clearly, I have to accept that I always require an FBA.  Why would I think otherwise?  I guess partly it was the measurements on the pattern; but the advice was clear and for my circumstances, an FBA was needed.  So here is attempt 1 - it was supposed to be a muslin and then I started loving the fabric was gutted when it didn't fit.

Dumbness #2:
Making a muslin out of a fabric I liked, then being crapped off when it didn't fit.


Mmmmm squeezy!

Happily my friend Danika selflessly stepped…

Named Astrid Wrap Shorts - Pattern Test

I absolutely love the new collection from Named called Royals.  I was lucky to have the opportunity to test the Astrid Wrap Shorts, which is a two in one pattern of either shorts or full length wide legged pants.

Here are the versions on the Named site:


The pattern was clear and easy to follow.  The only tricky part was ensuring the place where the wrap starts is nice and neat.

I made my version out of some cream herringbone linen I bought in Tessuti Melbourne several years ago:

And here is the front:


back:


and side, where the tie is:


I love these shorts.  I am not sure the plain linen is the best fabric to use for visual impact, but they are super comfortable and a good weight for Sydney.

I did have a sizing issue in that they turned out quite a bit larger than expected, which means I need to pull the tie tighter and makes it look messy.  As this was a pattern test I would not take this as necessarily true of the released pattern, and I will confess that I haven't checked the fin…