Skip to main content

Issy's Dress - a made up pattern...

This last month has seen me achieve my holy grail of sewing not once, but twice!  One was the modified Vogue 1250 to make a top out of a dress pattern and other is Issy's dress which was made up completely by me (based on an existing dress but still...).  It's starting to feel like I have control in sewing and can understand where a pattern is taking me, or how to make a particular thing I would like.  As a non-standard size and shape this has been my nirvana for a while, so am quite pleased with myself even though these are baby steps!

Without further ado...this is Issy's dress (and Issy in it...)


Apologies for the terribly awful blinds backdrop - it was late and so outside wasn't an option...

It is an extremely simple T-shirt type of dress (made in a woven from Prints Charming I think) with elastic in a channel around the waist and also around the neckline.  I loved the dress this was based on (not pictured, will try and snap one next time it's on her) for it's simplicity and as a vehicle for a nice fabric.  I think I did well here in that regard.

Here is close-up which better shows the neck elastic.  I think I will use a softer elastic for the neckline next time - to help the drape.  The original was a much thinner Japanese type of woven which reduced bulkiness.  


 And here is my little model getting carried away and being silly - she really seems to like this dress!


I think her main criteria (beyond pink, sparkly, fairy and ballerina-y) is that it is comfortable.  She prefers leggings to jeans and would probably be happiest running about in the nud if it wasn't cold!  This dress fits the bill.  I am going to try one for me (maybe) in a light chambray I have already.  I thought about maybe doing the elastic channel in a contrasting colour such as red (in this dress it is just part of the top folded over but there's no reason it couldn't be a separate joining piece between the top and bottom...).  Maybe even with overlocked hems instead of rolled also in red thread?

I leave you with the best picture I took, as she looks so gorgeous.  Not showing much of the dress though...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 - Hits of 2017!

Joining in with Gillian at Crafting a Rainbow to post a couple of reflective posts for 2017.

2017 was a funny sewing year for me - I pretty much didn't blog at all, and what I made was mostly pattern tests.  I think that reflects what felt like the busiest year yet and am trying not to beat myself up about all the stuff I didn't make that I wanted to!

2018 is hopefully going to be more considered making, especially as I have signed up for the Goodbye Valentino RTW Fast!  No clothes shopping for me...argh!

Without further ado - here are the garments I think were my five "hits" of 2017:

1.  Reece Shift Dress (Sinclair Patterns)


I LOVE this dress.  I don't like wearing dresses but wear this to work all the time.  It makes me feel smart and professional (even though it needs a press in the second picture!) and is really well suited to the Sydney climate.

As someone who recently swore off making dresses to try and find myself a true TNT, I might sneak in another versi…

Dumb and Dumber - or how not to make a Washi Dress...

[Note that I believe all the dumbness in this post is to do with my newbie status as pattern adjuster, some carelessness, some overconfidence and some just plain idiotic moves - not the Washi pattern!  I found the pattern itself really easy to follow and sew; and if you don't totally screw it up then it's quick to sew too!]

So like everyone else that moves, I really liked the look of the Washi dress / tunic.  I bought the pattern and then ummed and ahhed about the FBA part.

Dumbness #1:
Clearly, I have to accept that I always require an FBA.  Why would I think otherwise?  I guess partly it was the measurements on the pattern; but the advice was clear and for my circumstances, an FBA was needed.  So here is attempt 1 - it was supposed to be a muslin and then I started loving the fabric was gutted when it didn't fit.

Dumbness #2:
Making a muslin out of a fabric I liked, then being crapped off when it didn't fit.


Mmmmm squeezy!

Happily my friend Danika selflessly stepped…

Named Astrid Wrap Shorts - Pattern Test

I absolutely love the new collection from Named called Royals.  I was lucky to have the opportunity to test the Astrid Wrap Shorts, which is a two in one pattern of either shorts or full length wide legged pants.

Here are the versions on the Named site:


The pattern was clear and easy to follow.  The only tricky part was ensuring the place where the wrap starts is nice and neat.

I made my version out of some cream herringbone linen I bought in Tessuti Melbourne several years ago:

And here is the front:


back:


and side, where the tie is:


I love these shorts.  I am not sure the plain linen is the best fabric to use for visual impact, but they are super comfortable and a good weight for Sydney.

I did have a sizing issue in that they turned out quite a bit larger than expected, which means I need to pull the tie tighter and makes it look messy.  As this was a pattern test I would not take this as necessarily true of the released pattern, and I will confess that I haven't checked the fin…