Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Issy's Oliver + S Seashore Sundress

I must be getting ready for summer, as this is yet another dress for Issy finished off and happily received :)


Sadly it's a bit creased, though that kind of made me happy as it was that way because she wore it all day and didn't want to take it off.  Not only is that great because it means she liked it, but also super because it was nice and warm here today; so it's a happy situation both ways!

I cut a size 7, which is by measurement too large for her in length and hips, about right in the chest and slightly small on the tummy.  The issue with having ginormous kids like mine is that she still has the characteristics of almost the toddler shape (like the sticky out tummy) a bit, but clothes aren't cut that way for 7 year olds.  I guess that's where making your own comes in!!!  Anyway, I didn't alter it in the end as the length seems nice and there is plenty of room to move in it, without it seeming overly large, as evidenced by all the running around:


Happiness is...



I have various comments about this pattern.  On the plus side, it was super quick to make, easy to follow and is a lovely pattern.  I like that it's a bit different and also the construction of the pockets was particularly cute.  As you can see I added contrasting panels down the sides but it would still look great all in the one fabric.  I used self-covered buttons for the straps.

On the down side, there were three main things I would change:

  1. The straps seem really short by comparison to the remainder of the sizing.  This is an issue someone else had about a different Oliver + S pattern so I think it might be a general problem with all their patterns.  I have shoulders more suited to an American Football player than a female so we may have to do some adjusting as I think Issy is close to me in build :(
  2. I am not sure why patterns like this never use things like french seams inside instead of overlocking / zig zagging.  I have an overlock stitch on my normal sewing machine (I LOVE my machine) and so this doesn't really bother me, but it's nice and neat and easily incorporated.  I of course didn't think of this until after but when I make this again I will try and work them in.
  3. The fabric allowance was way over generous.  I got a fair bit less than specified and modified the cutting layout significantly.  The layout seemed to be to fold the fabric in half and plonk whatever you need onto the fold, put the rest in the gaps and just buy as much as the total combined length of the bits which need to be cut on the fold.  Some of the pieces which need to be cut on the fold are pretty narrow so I folded the selvedges into the middle to offer two cutting folds on the same length rather than one.  My fabric had direction so I had to be careful to ensure I still cut accordingly but that just needed checking and thought.  Even though I bought less fabric than asked for I had heaps and heaps left over.  Not that I won't use it but lesson learned...
I always feel like I harp more on the negative when talking patterns but I think you don't "notice" good pattern writing as much as the bad; you just make the thing easily and quickly and spend your time admiring your own cleverness...

All up I was really happy with this pattern and now I know the above 3 things I will adjust accordingly.  The pattern goes to size 12 so this will definitely be back again for next year and maybe also as a present for someone else too.  As I mentioned, madam is pleased and I love the main fabric which is Pinfeathers (by Carina Gardner for Northcott Fabrics).  I have ordered the Oliver + S book so if it ever arrives I might make the little hat in the same fabric...

I leave you with madam posing in the garden:


Not sure what is going on here...looks like YMCA but that seems unlikely...



Happy twirling nearly-summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment