Skip to main content

Tutu Bag

One of my little girl's best friends is turning five next week.  She is a very (very) girlie girl and they enjoy dancing and pretending to be ballerina fairy princesses together (no idea where she gets that from!).

I have had this free pattern (the link to the free pattern google doc from vintagericrac is here) sitting ready to make for a while.  Originally I planned to make it for Issy's 5th birthday in May but I saw it there last week and spur of the moment decided to make it for Bella.  I might still make it for Issy too, as she has already asked for one about a million times!

Here is my version of the tutu bag:

The bag is made entirely from my stash of somewhat grotesque fabrics which the less discerning ballet-obsessed five year old would love.  My friend donated most of this to me I think...the outside is pink ballet slippers on a sugar pink background.  The lining (not shown because I am useless at taking pictures) is a creamy coloured background with a sort of flowery ribbon motif on it.  The straps are darker pink with ribbons on.  I think the three fabrics are all part of the same range. 

The skirt is made of some pink bridal tulle which I had in my stash (there is a sentence I never thought I would type!).  The pattern specified a particular dimension of tulle and I modified this slightly to be around the same length but I think there is an extra layer in there to add extra pouf.  While I followed the pattern and  constructed the bag and then hand sewed the skirt on, I am not seeing any reason that I couldn't machine sew this on after making the main bag but before sewing the lining onto the bag.  The main bag and lining are sewn together with the bag inside the lining, so perhaps the skirt would add too much bulk for it all to fit inside and allow me to sew around the top?  I will nonetheless try it next time (and report back).  I will also add an internal pocket onto the lining before adding it to the bag next time I think (for the precious gems!).

The trim is an addition of my own (the pattern has a diamante button under the V, which I didn't have).  I had this trim sitting in the box from when someone had a sale on somewhere (it was a dollar) and it looked like the perfect gilding on the rather pink frilly lily.  It looks coloured in these pictures but in fact is kind of see through sequin things at the bottom of the beads.  I used a honeycomb stitch on my machine to hold it in place and stop the top edge rolling over where it curves (this is ribbon not bias so less suited to the curvy bits).  I actually quick like the honeycomb and would use it again elsewhere.  

 So there is the beautifully girlie tutu bag - I hope the young lady in question likes it!


Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 - Hits of 2017!

Joining in with Gillian at Crafting a Rainbow to post a couple of reflective posts for 2017.

2017 was a funny sewing year for me - I pretty much didn't blog at all, and what I made was mostly pattern tests.  I think that reflects what felt like the busiest year yet and am trying not to beat myself up about all the stuff I didn't make that I wanted to!

2018 is hopefully going to be more considered making, especially as I have signed up for the Goodbye Valentino RTW Fast!  No clothes shopping for me...argh!

Without further ado - here are the garments I think were my five "hits" of 2017:

1.  Reece Shift Dress (Sinclair Patterns)

I LOVE this dress.  I don't like wearing dresses but wear this to work all the time.  It makes me feel smart and professional (even though it needs a press in the second picture!) and is really well suited to the Sydney climate.

As someone who recently swore off making dresses to try and find myself a true TNT, I might sneak in another versi…

Dumb and Dumber - or how not to make a Washi Dress...

[Note that I believe all the dumbness in this post is to do with my newbie status as pattern adjuster, some carelessness, some overconfidence and some just plain idiotic moves - not the Washi pattern!  I found the pattern itself really easy to follow and sew; and if you don't totally screw it up then it's quick to sew too!]

So like everyone else that moves, I really liked the look of the Washi dress / tunic.  I bought the pattern and then ummed and ahhed about the FBA part.

Dumbness #1:
Clearly, I have to accept that I always require an FBA.  Why would I think otherwise?  I guess partly it was the measurements on the pattern; but the advice was clear and for my circumstances, an FBA was needed.  So here is attempt 1 - it was supposed to be a muslin and then I started loving the fabric was gutted when it didn't fit.

Dumbness #2:
Making a muslin out of a fabric I liked, then being crapped off when it didn't fit.

Mmmmm squeezy!

Happily my friend Danika selflessly stepped…

Named Astrid Wrap Shorts - Pattern Test

I absolutely love the new collection from Named called Royals.  I was lucky to have the opportunity to test the Astrid Wrap Shorts, which is a two in one pattern of either shorts or full length wide legged pants.

Here are the versions on the Named site:

The pattern was clear and easy to follow.  The only tricky part was ensuring the place where the wrap starts is nice and neat.

I made my version out of some cream herringbone linen I bought in Tessuti Melbourne several years ago:

And here is the front:


and side, where the tie is:

I love these shorts.  I am not sure the plain linen is the best fabric to use for visual impact, but they are super comfortable and a good weight for Sydney.

I did have a sizing issue in that they turned out quite a bit larger than expected, which means I need to pull the tie tighter and makes it look messy.  As this was a pattern test I would not take this as necessarily true of the released pattern, and I will confess that I haven't checked the fin…