Skip to main content

Craft Fair - looking back, and looking forward...

So this week I fly off to Sydney to go to the Quilt and Craft Fair in Darling Harbour.  Last year I did a similar trip, though to Melbourne instead of Sydney (I have a friend who since moved to Sydney so it's a good excuse for a visit!).

Last year, I did this post; which detailed the targets I had for the trip (purchases mainly!).  It is super interesting to me to review that post and realise that I didn't exactly make the grade from then until now...My aims then were:

  1. To get a jelly roll for the giant jelly roll floor cushions on moda bakeshop.  A year later...I got the jelly roll and it has sat in the cupboard ever since :(  I could make excuses about how I didn't "need" to make these so much until the kids are a bit older and can use the downstairs rumpus room a bit more; but really it's annoying I haven't made them in over a year since buying the materials.
  2. To buy some wool for the Purl Bee Granny Stripe Blanket.  A year later...I haven't made the blanket but I also didn't yet buy the wool.  That's more OK than failure #1...I think!  I still intend to make this but it's not really priority right now, which is alright.
  3. To (maybe) buy crochet cotton and beads for some of these bracelets.  A year later...I didn't buy it, I didn't make it, and I haven't thought of them since.  I still quite like them though.  Perhaps a good impulse purchase if I see some cotton I like, or something to do with Issy when she is old enough.
  4. Some dress fabric shopping, especially some jersey ruffle.  A year later...in this respect I did better!  I couldn't find any jersey ruffle I liked (it was all very narrow).  I did score at Tessuti/the craft fair and find the materials for these shorts, this scarf, this top and this skirt.
  5. "Look at" yo-yo makers, templates and books.  Plus I saw a post about Knook (knitting with crochet hooks).  A year later...none of the above (well, not from the craft fair).  But there I did discover Zpaghetti (see here) which is a bit Knook-y I imagine.
In addition, I found some gorgeous Duckcloth fabrics for my sister-in-laws quilt, my bag from scraps and the little cellphone wallet.

So here I am, trying to write the pre-Sydney post and make the list again.  I am not sure how looking back helps me, except to resolve to use what I buy, and in that respect I have done quite well.  If I can't find what is on the list, I can probably excuse that, but I don't like buying things I don't use.

Hopefully a post soon to go over what I might try and buy this time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Named Astrid Wrap Shorts - Pattern Test

I absolutely love the new collection from Named called Royals.  I was lucky to have the opportunity to test the Astrid Wrap Shorts, which is a two in one pattern of either shorts or full length wide legged pants.

Here are the versions on the Named site:


The pattern was clear and easy to follow.  The only tricky part was ensuring the place where the wrap starts is nice and neat.

I made my version out of some cream herringbone linen I bought in Tessuti Melbourne several years ago:

And here is the front:


back:


and side, where the tie is:


I love these shorts.  I am not sure the plain linen is the best fabric to use for visual impact, but they are super comfortable and a good weight for Sydney.

I did have a sizing issue in that they turned out quite a bit larger than expected, which means I need to pull the tie tighter and makes it look messy.  As this was a pattern test I would not take this as necessarily true of the released pattern, and I will confess that I haven't checked the fin…

KCW 01/14: Day 1

This Kids Clothes Week is technically Winter but I am calling it 01/14, as it was over thirty degrees here today!  My mission is only to make one thing - a new raincoat for Issy.

I did some prep before the week started - cutting out the main fabric.  I went away across the Australia Day long weekend so I knew I would only have a scant hour tonight.


The main fabric is a soft greyish purple laminate I got from the Kelani fabric stall at the Melbourne Craft Fair last year.  I am using the Oliver + S School Days Coat pattern, which I have made previously for her.

In the hour I managed to cut the lining and sew the hood.


Annoyingly I even got the stitching around the edge done which looked great, but then I turned it over and I had managed to catch the lining folded over in the topstitching.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

SO I unpicked that (with no small amount of swearing) and then decided to call it a night.  I could imagine irritably resewing it and doing the same thing again if I wasn't care…

Dumb and Dumber - or how not to make a Washi Dress...

[Note that I believe all the dumbness in this post is to do with my newbie status as pattern adjuster, some carelessness, some overconfidence and some just plain idiotic moves - not the Washi pattern!  I found the pattern itself really easy to follow and sew; and if you don't totally screw it up then it's quick to sew too!]

So like everyone else that moves, I really liked the look of the Washi dress / tunic.  I bought the pattern and then ummed and ahhed about the FBA part.

Dumbness #1:
Clearly, I have to accept that I always require an FBA.  Why would I think otherwise?  I guess partly it was the measurements on the pattern; but the advice was clear and for my circumstances, an FBA was needed.  So here is attempt 1 - it was supposed to be a muslin and then I started loving the fabric was gutted when it didn't fit.

Dumbness #2:
Making a muslin out of a fabric I liked, then being crapped off when it didn't fit.


Mmmmm squeezy!

Happily my friend Danika selflessly stepped…