Skip to main content

Finished! Cardigan for Issy

I have had this "finished" (knitted, blocked and made up) for at least three or four weeks now, but was stuck as to what to do with the closure.  This was started here, really quite a while ago...but is finally, finally finished!


This is the bolero from my Bouton D'Or knitting book.  It is a rib design with some slipped stitches in between the ribs and a picot crochet edging.


Here is a sleeve edge showing the close up of both the pattern and the edging, both of which I really like.  The pattern called for a tie closure on the front flaps of the cardigan, but I thought it let the pattern down.  It looks shoddy compared to the rest of the garment, plus my small person is only 5 and the tie would be beyond her a bit.  So I added a snap:


The snap still isn't ideal.  She tends to try and yank the thing apart which obviously puts a lot of stress on the yarn around the snap, but we will see how it goes.  I can slightly see the snap from the front, so am tempted to add a decorative button perhaps.

The cardigan is a little on the large side for her now, but am intending that this fits her well into summer and maybe even next winter.  She was quite pleased...


And is getting slightly better at modelling things for me, though am not so keen on the untucked look with this one - it's definitely a smarter cover up than we normally wear in winter.


I also love the colour on her - the wool is Bendigo Woolen Mills (discontinued) Melody in Dusky Pink and is beautiful.  It was great to work with and has lycra in it which I hope means this will keep its shape when washed...fingers crossed!

The pattern seemed pretty good too, though I have to say these patterns are harder to follow than anything I have ever attempted.  They don't print every line, but do a lot of "increase each side 2 stitches every other row 2 times, then 6 stitches 8 times" action.  This can only be handled by my obsessive write everything out method, which is good because that's what I do anyway :)



I am really pleased with this and she is just so unbelievably lovely and looks so beautiful that I couldn't be happier :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sapporo Coat or the magical 5-hour pattern!

Hi All

We had to make an expected trip down to Tasmania this weekend and Tasmania in the middle of winter is VERY VERY COLD.

I realised I don't really own a coat, which was going to be a problem.  Luckily, I had already bought the required ingredients for one a week ago, because we are heading to New Zealand (also VERY VERY COLD) soon.

I decided to try the Sapporo coat from Papercut Patterns:


I was a bit nervous heading into this one for a few reasons - one being that they don't quite go up to my size (nearly), the other being that the coat is one of those cool-looking cocoon things with lots of ease in it.  These styles are a bit hit-and-miss on me, as I am already large on top.

Behold!  Success!


I love it!  It's warm (wool from Tessuti's) while being not too swampy. 

The style lines are just like the pattern cover and line drawings:




The back is tres chic and cocoon-y without being sacky:



It kept me warm in Hobart!



I should note that I am around 2.5" smaller than…

Dumb and Dumber - or how not to make a Washi Dress...

[Note that I believe all the dumbness in this post is to do with my newbie status as pattern adjuster, some carelessness, some overconfidence and some just plain idiotic moves - not the Washi pattern!  I found the pattern itself really easy to follow and sew; and if you don't totally screw it up then it's quick to sew too!]

So like everyone else that moves, I really liked the look of the Washi dress / tunic.  I bought the pattern and then ummed and ahhed about the FBA part.

Dumbness #1:
Clearly, I have to accept that I always require an FBA.  Why would I think otherwise?  I guess partly it was the measurements on the pattern; but the advice was clear and for my circumstances, an FBA was needed.  So here is attempt 1 - it was supposed to be a muslin and then I started loving the fabric was gutted when it didn't fit.

Dumbness #2:
Making a muslin out of a fabric I liked, then being crapped off when it didn't fit.


Mmmmm squeezy!

Happily my friend Danika selflessly stepped…

What to wear to a winter wedding?

I recently attended the wedding of a close friend in New Zealand.  If you aren't aware, early August in New Zealand is COLD! 

Cue a lot of googling on what to wear to an (outdoor) winter wedding :)  I even made a pinterest board of ideas



I also took inspiration from my #SewStyleHero as part of the theme month that was running via The SewcialistsYou can read about that here.

Here is what I came up with:



I used a heavy stretch navy sequin (Pitt Trading) for the skirt...


...and a soft silvery beige colour stretch velvet (from Tessuti) for the top.



The skirt was self-drafted and designed to be as full and sequiny glorious as the amount of fabric i had would allow.  I will probably cut off the skirt now to make it more wearable in everyday life, though I loved the effect for a fabulous winter wedding.


The top is the Seamwork Astoria and was a bit of a revelation. 

This was my second Seamwork pattern and I really liked it.  I know it's trendy at the moment to dislike Colette / Se…