Skip to main content

Planning, organising, planning, procrastinating? The Sewing for ME edition...

I already blogged my knitting / crochet goals for 2012 here.  Sadly, those goals have *already* been waylaid by an emergency present for my sister-in-laws 30th birthday on Australia Day (she wants a knitted cushion to match a throw she just got).  *Sigh*.  I did think I would stick with the plan a little longer than 15 days into the new year when I cast on that rather naughty new project :)

This email is the first part of my sewing goals.  The first part, I hear you cry?  Yes, I have so many WIPs and UFOs and ideas and plans and goals, that I need to further categorise the sewing posts into separate sections.  Cripes.  Here goes...

Sewing for ME:  Things already underway (oldest to youngest)


Silky Denim Shirt Dress

This is one of my oldest WIPs and only maybe the second thing I ever sewed (or am sewing..) for myself to wear.  It's McCalls M5847 (view A).

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m5847-products-10059.php?page_id=528

I was/am making it in a kind of silky indigo fabric which looks like denim but is much more slinky and has a kind of sheen to it (how hideous does that sound?!).  It is a bitch to sew with - it doesn't hold a crease well at all.

I need to revisit this one and try it on again.  I think I had it mostly done, bar some hideous hand sewing on the facing and making of button holes.  Maybe some other finishing on the armholes.  Anyway - I should really see if it's worth it and finish or officially abandon.  Perhaps attempt two in the future in a different, more suitable fabric :)


Renfrew Refinements 

This isn't really a work in progress, as I have made one "muslin" version (below) and not yet started the next.



I made this as a test and want to make another in some black similar weight fabric which I bought ages ago.  I still have a few fitting issues as dissected in my post about this one and would like to get this to a TNT state - as I can imagine making many of these and altering it to make even more!

My first bra:

This is the pin-up girls Classic Bra (line drawing here).  I bought the kit in pink and chocolate and have cut out the pink.  I really really want to learn to make my own underwear (though apparently not so much that I didn't let myself get distracted by trousers...)

Trousers - Tessuti Chloe Pants:

I love this pattern, and not just because they obviously named it for me.

http://www.tessuti-shop.com/products/chloe-pant-pattern-pdf-print-at-home-and-print-at-copy-shop#prettyPhoto
I have already made one muslin from green homespun (surprisingly wearable - dedicated post to follow) and have the second cut out (greyish blue homespun).  I am going to change this version to have the zip at the centre and I will add a waistband.  I have some beautiful chocolate striped linen from Tessuti to make the final version from, once I am brave enough!  At least one more muslin first...

Copy Dress:

I bought a lovely dress last time I went to Melbourne (Sportscraft) and would like to try and make up a pattern for something similar.  I also got some silk from Victoria market (should that read "silk"?  Probably...).  I have the start of a pattern so need to muslin and fiddle and so forth.

Apron:

I have the fabric and a pattern in my head - last on the list as I already have at least 3 aprons :)


I think that's a pretty modest list, the list for the house stuff and the kids stuff will follow soon!

Comments

  1. I love those Chloe pants too and have come so close to buying the pattern... please don't tell me again how good it is! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really liking it so far. Hopefully a post this weekend about the first muslin plus some sewing on the second! I am thinking I make one pair (when am finally finished muslining) in the linen I bought and then maybe also a more wintery pair in a drapey wool...I wish I didn't have to work and could sew more!

      Delete
  2. You've got a lot to do - you better get busy Miss C. Ha ha. Totally agree the Chloe pants are totally chic and gorgeous - just like you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Named Astrid Wrap Shorts - Pattern Test

I absolutely love the new collection from Named called Royals.  I was lucky to have the opportunity to test the Astrid Wrap Shorts, which is a two in one pattern of either shorts or full length wide legged pants.

Here are the versions on the Named site:


The pattern was clear and easy to follow.  The only tricky part was ensuring the place where the wrap starts is nice and neat.

I made my version out of some cream herringbone linen I bought in Tessuti Melbourne several years ago:

And here is the front:


back:


and side, where the tie is:


I love these shorts.  I am not sure the plain linen is the best fabric to use for visual impact, but they are super comfortable and a good weight for Sydney.

I did have a sizing issue in that they turned out quite a bit larger than expected, which means I need to pull the tie tighter and makes it look messy.  As this was a pattern test I would not take this as necessarily true of the released pattern, and I will confess that I haven't checked the fin…

KCW 01/14: Day 1

This Kids Clothes Week is technically Winter but I am calling it 01/14, as it was over thirty degrees here today!  My mission is only to make one thing - a new raincoat for Issy.

I did some prep before the week started - cutting out the main fabric.  I went away across the Australia Day long weekend so I knew I would only have a scant hour tonight.


The main fabric is a soft greyish purple laminate I got from the Kelani fabric stall at the Melbourne Craft Fair last year.  I am using the Oliver + S School Days Coat pattern, which I have made previously for her.

In the hour I managed to cut the lining and sew the hood.


Annoyingly I even got the stitching around the edge done which looked great, but then I turned it over and I had managed to catch the lining folded over in the topstitching.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

SO I unpicked that (with no small amount of swearing) and then decided to call it a night.  I could imagine irritably resewing it and doing the same thing again if I wasn't care…

Dumb and Dumber - or how not to make a Washi Dress...

[Note that I believe all the dumbness in this post is to do with my newbie status as pattern adjuster, some carelessness, some overconfidence and some just plain idiotic moves - not the Washi pattern!  I found the pattern itself really easy to follow and sew; and if you don't totally screw it up then it's quick to sew too!]

So like everyone else that moves, I really liked the look of the Washi dress / tunic.  I bought the pattern and then ummed and ahhed about the FBA part.

Dumbness #1:
Clearly, I have to accept that I always require an FBA.  Why would I think otherwise?  I guess partly it was the measurements on the pattern; but the advice was clear and for my circumstances, an FBA was needed.  So here is attempt 1 - it was supposed to be a muslin and then I started loving the fabric was gutted when it didn't fit.

Dumbness #2:
Making a muslin out of a fabric I liked, then being crapped off when it didn't fit.


Mmmmm squeezy!

Happily my friend Danika selflessly stepped…