Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Kids Clothes Week (KWC) - July 2013 - Day 1 and 2

I can't call it Summer 2013 as it's definitely not summer here!

I ummed and ahhed about doing KCW this time as my kids have no serious clothes needs right now. and I am in the middle of other projects.  However, my sister and nephew are coming for a visit so I decided to use the time to make him some more pyjamas.

Not long enough..._KCWJuly2013

I used a blue check flannel, which is annoyingly shown here on the wrong side.

I cut this out a while ago and I think I cut it too short, so I am also going to add a cuff, likely via the method in Sewing for Boys.

I only plan to make one item this time (well a top and and bottoms), or maybe a few - as I have some skinny flashback tees already cut out from last KCW...don't judge my extreme slackness!  Because I am not making much, I wanted to make this something I did super properly.  So I decided to concentration on the details and finish, using nicer seam treatments etc.  Here are some rather boring shots of that!


Turn and stitch crotch seam_KCWJuly2013

Here is the turn and stitch on the crotch seam.  I love this for trousers as it will be super comfy.


French seaming the inner seam_KCWJuly2013


Here is french seaming the inseam

Outer Seam Stitching_KCWJuly2013

And this is the outer seam.  The seam allowaneace was 1/2" so I pressed it open, then raw edges to middle, then back together and edgestitched it closed.  I don't know if that has a name, but it looks almost identical to the french seam on the inside.

Then, feeling very happy with myself, I put on the waistband.  After sewing the first seam, I decided to make buttonholes for elastic rather than enclosing it.  So I put those on the main leg as the waistband will fold down over that....

Mistaken buttonhole_KCWJuly2013

Except it wont.  It folds in half onto itself.  So now I have random "feature" buttonholes in the side of the hip for no good reason.  I am annoyingly dumb sometimes :)

And here they are nearly finished - renewed elastic plan and cuffs tomorrow and then I will move onto the top :) 


Nearly finished PJ bottoms_KCWJuly2012

What are you sewing for KCW?

1 comment:

  1. Did you get the jim jams finished? I have had a shocker (as I knew I would) this week and achieved approximately sod all. Hope you had more luck than me? P.S. I quite like the purely decorative button hole!

    ReplyDelete