Sunday, September 28, 2014

Mermaid Costume for Book Week

Yes I know, Book Week was a while ago.  I am not really keeping up with things so much at the moment, but then I did move state, house and job in July...I think I get to be a bit slack!

Someone at my old work in Tassie gave me this amazing dress.  It was a strapless (with boning), shiny turquoise number, with a ruffly frill thing down the side of the skirt.  Apparently, she used to wear it back in the day :)

I have had it in the dress up box for ages (that's why she gave it to me...!) but it falls off Issy still, so we decided to make it into a book week costume instead.

Another crappy phone picture is below:



I loved making this.  As I unpicked the dress I realised it was handmade (because why wouldn't you pour your hard earned time into such a shiny, itchy and ravelly fabric?).  It was really interesting seeing the boning and how it was constructed.

I hacked it in half, left the skirt fairly unchanged (except to make it fit) and then made the top a lot smaller and put shirring on the back to ensure it would stay up via the magic of negative ease...All that was left was to franken-graft the tail from another dress up thing onto it and we had a mermaid!

Fun times :)

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Y Do I Do It quilt (or my favourite quilt EVER!)

This one was actually finished quite a while ago, but then we moved and I forgot to blog for about 6 weeks or more, and I forgot I never shared this.

This is my new most favouritest quilt EVER:




Excuse the terrible phone photos, I was feeling very very lazy...

It's called Y Do I Do It (because it is sewn with Y seams) and it was a class at Patchworks in Hobart.  The quilt is the brainchild of my sewing "mom", Jill Griffin who runs Patchworks and it's super awesome.  The blocks are actually sewn as the Y shape, which was at first fiddly but super super satisfying once you got the hang of it!

The pattern for the class was on a slightly smaller scale than mine is, and was designed to be made out of print fabric, but grouped into three sets (light, medium and dark) to achieve the 3-D effect.  Some class participants used different colours, some used prints which were the same colour but split into the three shades, and I used only three, solid fabrics (mostly Kona and in greyish mushroomy shades)  What was amazing was how different they all turned out!  Sadly I only have pictures of mine...but that's OK because I LOOOOOVE it.

Despite starting to make quilts in 2003, this is only the second quilt for our bed.  I guess between making them for other people, the kids, sewing clothes, knitting and crochet, there just hasn't been time!  Having moved somewhere warmer I think we really need them - so we can have a flat sheet and just a quilt to pull up if it's a bit chilly, rather than the full on duvet and so forth.  Maybe I will make us another before 10 more years passes :)

The only other quilt I made for us is shown below.  I still love that also :)


Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Rockstar Bag Pattern Test! (and I'm BACK!)

It's been a while!  In between this post and the last I have moved house to another state, enrolled the kids in school and childcare, found and started a new job and (mostly) sorted out the new house!

I have also been sneakily sewing...


This is the Rockstar Bag - the new pattern from the lovely Sara Lawson at Sew Sweetness.  I was super lucky to get picked as a pattern tester for this one, and it's frankly my most favouritest bag ever!

I used fabrics from my stash - mostly this super funky Echino large scale polka dot.  The colour looks pretty true here, perhaps a little bit more mustardy in real life?

This bag pattern is (as ever...) awesome!  There are tons of details and the result is super professional.  As ever, I totally cocked one bit of it up (the sizing of the main panels) but not so significantly that the end result isn't great.  I think if you make this according to instructions at appropriate scale, it would be about 1 inch wider.  C'est la vie...


Another thing I stupidly did was picked up the incorrect set of D-Rings for the third strap attachments on the side.  As you can see, the front has nicely sized D-rings attaching the straps, but here I used a rivet instead of the ridiculously large set I managed to buy in place of the smaller ones when I was vagueing out in Spotlight.  I think it looks pretty cool anyway, and if I had done the rivets on the slanted flap on the front of the bag it would have tied in nicely.



I used this bag today at work and it was a great size.  I found the shoulder strap good, the other handles a good length and I just love how it looks.

Happy days :)