Skip to main content

Things I didn't get around to posting yet #4 - made up maxi skirt

I have wanted a maxi skirt for a while now.  I tried to buy a cheapy one in Target but they didn't have the colour I wanted in my size.  Then I kind of remembered I could just make one up!  So here is the made-up maxi skirt:



I took the leftovers of this top and this dress and decided to sew them together for a stripey pop of colour.  I had to work with tiers made of whatever width remained of the fabrics (I didn't have much left) and similarly the design was somewhat dictated by which fabrics I had more or less of.

Despite the restricted choices the process of making it was simple and it felt good to be thriftily using up the remains of other projects (plus I love the teal and the stripe and they worked really well together too).  I  just made up a rough plan as follows:

  1. Measure waist.  Add a couple of inches.  Divide by two and then add 1 inch (for seam allowance - 1/2 each side).  This is the width of all the tier pieces except the top and bottom tiers.  Note this is a bit restrictive to walk fast in, but I don't really care :)  A-line would solve this but I didn't have enough fabric.
  2. Measure length of waist to floor.  Divide by number of tiers wanted (for me this was determined by number of tiers possible from the fabric more than anything else). Add 1 inch for seam allowance.  This is the height of all tiers except top and bottom.
  3. Add an extra 1/2 inch to the bottom tier height.  There is already a 1/2 inch seam allowance top and bottom allowed, so this lets you turn up 1/2 inch and then 1/2 inch again for the hem.
  4. Add an extra 2 inches or so to the height of the top tier.  How much you add here depends on two things:  A) whether you want the height of the top tier to be the same as the rest including the waistband, or whether you want it to be additional which makes the top tier appear larger than the others and B) the height of your elastic.  This allows for a casing where you fold over 1/4 inch, then folded down by a little more than the elastic height to the inside, then stitch around to form the casing (leaving a gap for elastic threading).
Note that these measurements are very fudgeable (technical term!) - this is pretty much a sew-a-tube-out-what-you-have sort of project - it could be wider, shorter, uneven tiers etc and would still be great I think.

And here it is again - because I like it :)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumb and Dumber - or how not to make a Washi Dress...

[Note that I believe all the dumbness in this post is to do with my newbie status as pattern adjuster, some carelessness, some overconfidence and some just plain idiotic moves - not the Washi pattern!  I found the pattern itself really easy to follow and sew; and if you don't totally screw it up then it's quick to sew too!]

So like everyone else that moves, I really liked the look of the Washi dress / tunic.  I bought the pattern and then ummed and ahhed about the FBA part.

Dumbness #1:
Clearly, I have to accept that I always require an FBA.  Why would I think otherwise?  I guess partly it was the measurements on the pattern; but the advice was clear and for my circumstances, an FBA was needed.  So here is attempt 1 - it was supposed to be a muslin and then I started loving the fabric was gutted when it didn't fit.

Dumbness #2:
Making a muslin out of a fabric I liked, then being crapped off when it didn't fit.


Mmmmm squeezy!

Happily my friend Danika selflessly stepped…

Sapporo Coat or the magical 5-hour pattern!

Hi All

We had to make an expected trip down to Tasmania this weekend and Tasmania in the middle of winter is VERY VERY COLD.

I realised I don't really own a coat, which was going to be a problem.  Luckily, I had already bought the required ingredients for one a week ago, because we are heading to New Zealand (also VERY VERY COLD) soon.

I decided to try the Sapporo coat from Papercut Patterns:


I was a bit nervous heading into this one for a few reasons - one being that they don't quite go up to my size (nearly), the other being that the coat is one of those cool-looking cocoon things with lots of ease in it.  These styles are a bit hit-and-miss on me, as I am already large on top.

Behold!  Success!


I love it!  It's warm (wool from Tessuti's) while being not too swampy. 

The style lines are just like the pattern cover and line drawings:




The back is tres chic and cocoon-y without being sacky:



It kept me warm in Hobart!



I should note that I am around 2.5" smaller than…

Cashmerette Sewing Workshop Review

Hi All!

I am finally ready to post my review of the Cashmerette Sewing Workshop that I "recently" attended.  Yes, the workshop was nigh on three months ago BUT I have only recently finished the items that I started working on that weekend.  I figure I can't fully review the thing until I have sewn up the clothes and discovered how they turned out...

Before I get into how the workshop was structured and what I liked / didn't like, I have to say the most amazing thing about this workshop was the people.  Jenny and Carrie created an open environment with a genuine approach of body positivity.  This is so rare in our usual world that there were people in tears of relief that they were allowed to just make themselves something that fit without judgement. 


The workshop appealed when I saw it advertised for a range of reasons.  There were small numbers (I think 7-8 of us, plus Jenny and Carrie) and one of the main drawcards for me is that there was NO set agenda!   You coul…