Skip to main content

Finding a TNT - Grainline Linden

Hi everyone!

** Sorry for the awful pictures - in a rush, with an eight year old boy as photographer! **

As you may remember, I conducted some analysis of the Sewcialists TNT month results and I also wrote about how I haven't yet found much of anything that I could consider a TNT.

As a result, I decided to focus on finding some TNTs for me, using the Sewcialists results as a guide.  You might recall that the Grainline Linden took 67.3% of the pie in terms of sweatshirts / jumpers.  That was definitely on my list after that strong showing!  I also included it on my Me-Made-May plan - so it's very exciting that I have actually made it within May!!!


It's made out of a stretch fabric from Pitt Trading (called gold patina knit - sold out) which is lovely blend of black and gold.  It's like a sparkly top, without being ridiculously sparkly.

Overall the pattern was reasonably easy to adjust (once I found a good reference for an FBA on a raglan sleeve).  I used a mixture of the Claire Coat tutorial from Closet Case Patterns and the Paprika Patterns dartless FBA tutorial to add a couple of inches to the chest and then rotate out the resulting dart.

While these adjustments are now common for me, they do result in a very messy looking pattern piece!


I also adjusted for length - a standard for me being to add around 2" to the bodice and 1.5" to the sleeves.

While the sleeves are a touch long with the adjustment they are pretty good, but the additional body length was too much.  The first attempt was definitely too long (it was just about tunic length) and much less flattering. These pictures are taken after I removed about 2.5 - 3 inches back off the length.


Obviously I would have added some length via the FBA, but I was still surprised by how long this came out originally.  I am six foot tall, so anyone with a short torso might want to bear that in mind.

I also shaved about 3/4" off both side seams from below the bust down.  This was enough to make the fit flattering and slim, while still relaxed.  While 3/4" doesn't seem like much when you merrily serge it off the side, it actually adds up to around 3" around the full garment, so I should probably redraft the pattern piece a bit to accommodate.  


Overall I really like how this turned out.  It's dressy enough with the gold fabric to wear out for drinks, but super comfortable and relaxed.

It's also very very quick to sew.  I started this around 2pm yesterday, and wore it out last night (we left about 5.30pm).  Given that includes all the adjustments on the pattern and the back on forth on the length, that's pretty speedy!


I would like to try and make a v-neck version of this, so that might be next on the list.  That would also make this a TNT!!!

Ciao for now :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 - Hits of 2017!

Joining in with Gillian at Crafting a Rainbow to post a couple of reflective posts for 2017.

2017 was a funny sewing year for me - I pretty much didn't blog at all, and what I made was mostly pattern tests.  I think that reflects what felt like the busiest year yet and am trying not to beat myself up about all the stuff I didn't make that I wanted to!

2018 is hopefully going to be more considered making, especially as I have signed up for the Goodbye Valentino RTW Fast!  No clothes shopping for me...argh!

Without further ado - here are the garments I think were my five "hits" of 2017:

1.  Reece Shift Dress (Sinclair Patterns)


I LOVE this dress.  I don't like wearing dresses but wear this to work all the time.  It makes me feel smart and professional (even though it needs a press in the second picture!) and is really well suited to the Sydney climate.

As someone who recently swore off making dresses to try and find myself a true TNT, I might sneak in another versi…

Dumb and Dumber - or how not to make a Washi Dress...

[Note that I believe all the dumbness in this post is to do with my newbie status as pattern adjuster, some carelessness, some overconfidence and some just plain idiotic moves - not the Washi pattern!  I found the pattern itself really easy to follow and sew; and if you don't totally screw it up then it's quick to sew too!]

So like everyone else that moves, I really liked the look of the Washi dress / tunic.  I bought the pattern and then ummed and ahhed about the FBA part.

Dumbness #1:
Clearly, I have to accept that I always require an FBA.  Why would I think otherwise?  I guess partly it was the measurements on the pattern; but the advice was clear and for my circumstances, an FBA was needed.  So here is attempt 1 - it was supposed to be a muslin and then I started loving the fabric was gutted when it didn't fit.

Dumbness #2:
Making a muslin out of a fabric I liked, then being crapped off when it didn't fit.


Mmmmm squeezy!

Happily my friend Danika selflessly stepped…

Named Astrid Wrap Shorts - Pattern Test

I absolutely love the new collection from Named called Royals.  I was lucky to have the opportunity to test the Astrid Wrap Shorts, which is a two in one pattern of either shorts or full length wide legged pants.

Here are the versions on the Named site:


The pattern was clear and easy to follow.  The only tricky part was ensuring the place where the wrap starts is nice and neat.

I made my version out of some cream herringbone linen I bought in Tessuti Melbourne several years ago:

And here is the front:


back:


and side, where the tie is:


I love these shorts.  I am not sure the plain linen is the best fabric to use for visual impact, but they are super comfortable and a good weight for Sydney.

I did have a sizing issue in that they turned out quite a bit larger than expected, which means I need to pull the tie tighter and makes it look messy.  As this was a pattern test I would not take this as necessarily true of the released pattern, and I will confess that I haven't checked the fin…