This bag is a great size for craft supplies - note my dressmaker's dummy shown above is normal size, so you can easily see how big this is!
Despite the size the bag feels compact and sturdy (compact might not be the right word - it feels neat or super organised or something...no idea if that makes sense!). In particular some good use of a variety of interfacing and wadding makes this nicely sturdy, the bag isn't floppy or unwieldy at all.
It is designed and named for a craft retreat called Camp Stitchalot, hosted by Pink Castle Fabrics. Given the retreat is in the US and I am in Tasmania, chances of me ever going to the retreat are somewhat slim. However, if I did, I would take this bag!
Firstly, the bag has a bazillion pockets:
Above are the back pockets. There are three back pockets stacked on the outside of the back, plus a front pocket shown in the top picture which is closed over with a flap. Inside there are two lining pockets and four, zipped vinyl pockets. That's at least 10 pockets, though in fact as the pattern suggested I made more pockets by dividing some of them in half to form two smaller pockets. I did this with one lining pocket and two of the vinyl pockets, in order to store smaller items.
As a craft bag this makes it super awesome and flexible, as you can tailor it to your craft type, with smaller sections for embroidery threads or smaller cut pieces for applique or felt work. Plus larger pockets which can hold craft rulers, instructions and even one of the smaller cutting mats.
Best of all - it opens out flat.
This makes it so easy to see what's in the vinyl pockets and get to all the pockets and the things in them. I love that they are zippered to hold everything safe too.
This was the first time I have sewed vinyl so I approached it with a bit of caution. The instructions in the pattern were very helpful - there are great tips and alternate options throughout the pattern to help you choose how to shape the final product into what you want. There is a LOT of cutting in this pattern, but once that's out of the way it actually sews up pretty quickly for such a large bag. The instructions give a really nice result - there wasn't anywhere where I felt that in retrospect I would have wanted to do it another way for a cleaner result, which is unusual (because obviously I know best...hahahaha).
The tab closure which holds it back together has several snaps on it so that you can still close it when it's rammed full of stuff :) It needs to be tightly closed to keep the thing feeling stable.
World's most terrible picture but you get the idea :)
I made the main bag from a duck cloth cotton from Spotlight with lovely trees on. I love this fabric! The pockets etc were a variety of other chosen coordinating fabrics, also from Spotlight (shock!). I made my own bias for binding the vinyl pockets and outside edges.
Very happy with the results and the pattern itself, I really enjoyed making this one and feel super organised :)